Optimizing Human Resources
Our client was experiencing a period of growth and struggled with the question of how many additional HR staff to hire. They also felt it was time to look at all offerings/ processes under the HR umbrella to examine if maximum value was being achieved.
Carpedia was invited to drive process improvement and standardization across multiple offices across the country. The engagement spanned eight functional areas: Recruiting, Human Resources Services, Role Evaluation, Training & Development, Administration, and Payroll. Given that HR touches every division in the organization, careful effort had to be placed on ensuring that all method changes would not only improve operational efficiencies, but also increase or maintain service to all customers.
Our client realized extraordinary financial benefits, primarily through cost avoidance by absorbing incremental volume with existing staffing levels.
- Forms: 18 HR forms were optimized or eliminated; with reduced fields, required workflows and mandatory fields.
- Workforce planning: Performance improvement plan processing has been standardized across all locations ensuring consistency in issue resolution.
- Incident root cause: Employee HR issues are being tracked and analyzed, allowing the group to
identify trends across locations/company divisions and develop action plans accordingly
- Interview process: Standardized and improved the interview funnel. Defined the most appropriate person to interview candidate types. Pre-project HR and Business Leaders attended most interviews. Post project, some interviews (ie. CSR positions) are done solely by HR and some interviews (specialized practitioner) are done solely by the appropriately trained Business Leads.
- Pension calculations: Manual calculation double checks were significantly reduced in Pensions by identifying low error rate calculation types.
- Payroll: An interactive pay statement was created, reducing the volume of payroll questions received.
- Training: Training and Development teams were restructured between transactional and strategic work, allowing the transactional team to focus solely on reducing the backlog of their work queues.
- Wage pairity: Common job profiles standardized across business units, increasing parity and speed of assessment (eg. Admin Assistant, Database architect, etc.) Role Evaluations team is facilitating one on one meetings with Leaders, significantly reducing touch points, and as a result, cycle time.
- Data errors: Employee data errors significantly reduced by standardizing processes, automating forms and data fields.
Management system tools were developed and behavior changes were installed to enfore the management systems.
- Knowledge based areas are scheduling critical path activities one week in advance and reviewing attainment to this schedule on a daily basis with their leaders.
- Transactional areas are staffing to daily volume forecasts and speaking to variances on a daily basis with their leaders.
- Queue sizes have been made visible to leaders in multiple areas allowing them to effectively prioritize work and reallocate Practitioners across work streams when necessary.
Business customers now have enhanced visibility to employee data trends such as attrition and attrition type, incident volume and type, employee demographics etc.